Thank you for your interest in doing retreat. Here are some pointers regarding doing retreat at Pema Osel Ling.
Vajrayana Foundation seeks to make retreats open to everyone, regardless of financial situation.
Registering for a retreat
Please fill out a registration form online. A 25% deposit is required upon registration (once pricing information has been posted)
Methods of payment
- Credit card (Visa and Mastercard only)
- Paypal (link on website)
- Check (made out to Vajrayana Foundation) and mailed to Vajrayana Foundation, 2013 Eureka Canyon Road, Watsonville, CA 95076
Should your check not be accepted for payment by the bank, you will be charged a 7% monthly fee on your remaining balance and billed for any bank fees. )
- Up to and including 7 days before the retreat starts --- Refund minus $25 cancellation charge
- No refund is available if you cancel 6 days or less before retreat begins
If you require financial assistance we have some work-study positions available during each retreat as well as liberal payment plan options. Contact the office as early as possible to make arrangements. Please do not let your financial situation be the determining factor in your coming to retreat or not.
Children are very welcome here. We ask that parents take full responsibility for their children’s welfare when on the land. Children are welcome in the Shrine room as long as parents ensure that disturbance to others is kept to a minimum.
We have a no pets policy.
What to bring
- Any medication or toiletries you will need (some toiletries are available in the bookstore)
- Ear-plugs (?)
- Warm- and cool-weather comfortable clothing (layers work best)
- Sensible shoes – some terrain is uneven
- Towels and bedding. It is mandatory that you bring and use a bottom sheet if staying in indoor housing.
(You may rent sheets and a towel for the duration of retreat at the cost of $15. Please make arrangements to do this before retreat starts.)
*Note --- we have some cushions in the shrine-room. Chairs are also available for those unable to sit on the floor.
We provide indoor housing with 2-4 people per room. Each bed comes complete with a light comforter and pillow. Sheets must be used – see above*. You are also welcome to bring your own tent and camp (weather permitting). We have a couple of hook ups for RVs.
Generally, park in front of the office only to register. After that move your car to Parking Lot A (sign-posted). You can park by the Sangha House if you are staying there. Please do not park in front of the pond or down by the cabin area.
We serve both meat and vegetarian dishes at meals.
We ask everyone to contribute an hour of work a day towards the smooth running of our retreats. These assignments will be given at onsite registration. If physical or other limitations affect your ability to do this, please let us know beforehand.
- Fires, candles, and incense are absolutely not permitted except under the clear direction of Pema Osel Ling staff.
- Smoking is strictly forbidden at all times
- The use of alcoholic drinks and recreational drugs are not permitted on the property at any time.
Phone and Computer Use
There is minimal cell-phone reception at Pema Osel Ling.
Our office number (831) 761-6266 can be given to friends and relatives as an emergency contact.
There is a phone in the Information Booth that can be used to make local calls or to be used with a calling card. It does not require change.
You can check email at the Information Booth or on the benches outside the office if your computer has a wireless card. Office computers are not available for private use.
Dharma Treasures Bookstore
The store stocks practice items, sadhanas, photos, books, gifts, cards, CDs, thangkas and other art work, a selection of clothing including chubas, snacks, basic toiletries and items such as flashlights.
Contact details: (831) 761-6274 email@example.com
Traditionally, an offering is made to the lama (s) and translator (s) after teachings, etc. Tibetan offering scarves (khatas) can be purchased at the Dharma Treasures store, and envelopes for monetary offerings will be provided. Please bring cash with you as the bookstore will not be able to provide change and we do not have an ATM on the land.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions you may have on coming here to do retreat.
Thank you for your attention!